By now, you already know the answer to drive traffic to your website: SEO. Not so fast, though. The search engine optimization (SEO) of today will go through a transformation that is hard to predict. The techniques that worked in 2017 to reach your potential customers simply won’t be as effective in 2018 as technology evolves, gadgets and apps proliferate, and new generations of users get on board. You may have started an effective marketing campaign to drive website traffic—and yes, it has helped. But do you know your audience of tomorrow and how their environment will advance and change? According to Brookings.edu, “Millennials will comprise more than one in three of adult Americans by 2020.” You must get to know what this audience wants. It’s the best way to learn how to increase traffic to your website.
Effective SEO of Yesterday
As part of a new marketing strategy, you may have started an engaging blog, create a customer newsletter, integrated email marketing best practices, and designed a riveting video to increase your website traffic. Blogs, newsletters and email marketing are still often the best approach to improve your ROI. There is no mistake—yesterday’s SEO techniques are productive, but next year it will be time to try something new! Assess your efforts and decide if you are doing all you can to drive website traffic. It will help if you understand the concepts behind both inbound and outbound marketing? Keep in mind, the best SEO tools for next year may not be the ones you’ve relied upon over the past few years.
Inbound vs. Outbound Marketing Affects Traffic
Your website marketing in 2018 may require a transformation. Review your strategy to drive traffic to your website. If you spend time and money on outbound marketing in which pay per click (PPC) ads, trade shows, direct mail, and press releases are less than successful for increased traffic, it may be time to change up your game. Website traffic statistics show that inbound marketing has some attractive benefits that are hard to deny. What is inbound marketing? Drawing your leads from outsiders (those outside your market) by knowing what they seek to purchase well before they are ready to purchase is a successful tactic. Non-intrusive, pull marketing has a reach in today’s market that consumers love, and particular inbound SEO techniques are the way to accomplish this goal and affect traffic.
Changes in How To Capture New Leads
Capturing leads today stems from the same principles it did decades ago, but look at what has changed. Like always, the lead capturing process begins when you attract an outsider, impress them, and sell your product. What’s changed is that you have the ability to create a memorable experience for your customers that they want to share socially, and that promotes your products. You have the ability to secure increased website traffic and secure long-term loyal customers in ways you never could. Let’s look at some website traffic statistics in order to decide on the SEO hopefuls for 2018. According to Illumination Consulting:
- Between 70 and 80% of users ignore paid ads in website marketing
- There are nearly 3 million searches performed per minute, with 93% that use a search engine to find what they seek
- User search is the number one method to find a website
- Over 80% of users do not click on sponsored ads
- Nearly half of website users click on the first results that show up on the page
- Over 75% of users do not click on a second page
We know that search engine optimization (SEO) is productive, but the method to use in the coming year to drive website traffic will be based on several factors.
What To Watch For
Below are some changes to watch for as we move into the next year. Consider these ways in how to increase traffic to your website:
- Watch how technology evolves
- Get to know your NEW audience and their needs and desires
- Track purchasing habits and follow change
- Review new apps
- Explore new devices
- Keep up with ever-changing Google algorithms
- Examine your competitors
- Observe transformations in social media
Every SEO technique has its benefits so don’t stop what you are doing (unless it’s clear that the technique is not driving traffic to your website and it’s costing you a fortune). Some new SEO techniques that are more compatible with your products and services may be right in front of you.
SEO Techniques to Drive Traffic in 2018
Are you capitalizing on the best social media campaigns that correlate to your audiences? The fact is, when you rely on brand awareness to impress potential clients, demand naturally increases. Modern SEO for 2018 may include webinars, social media, podcasts, eBooks, and content marketing, to name a few. Are you link building as a form of endorsements by other businesses? How about guest blogging? Are you posting your articles on other blog sites? Think about what it is that drives YOU to the sites you love. While the concept of productive SEO, in general, hasn’t changed, the methods you use to drive traffic must align with your products, services, and customers.
Basic Website Traffic Strategies
The fact is, some basic website traffic strategies can make a huge difference in the number of visitors you receive. Therefore, review the following strategies for driving website traffic and then decide how a more relevant SEO campaign can promote your brand and help your business take off next year:
Content Options to Drive Traffic
- Identify your true audience—exactly who is, or who should be, buying from you? Do you appeal to the right people as part of your campaign?
- Does your About page tell who you really are? Today, consumers want to know everything; they want your story. It gives credibility you can’t do without in this competitive digital market. Trust, personal touch, community – do these appear in your online credentials?
- Are you using 100% original content? If you plagiarized, Google knows and this can bring down your business in a day. Refresh your content regularly and include original ideas that get to the heart of your business passions.
- Take advantage of key marketing content in banners, taglines, headlines, chunks of content, and calls to action. Learn more about metadata and how it changes your search rankings.
- Change up your Contact page. Let’s face it, if you’ve ever completed an online form in hopes of a 24-hour reply, it rarely happens. A phone call or live chat are preferred methods for customer contact in 2018.
- Tired of blogs? Think twice. Articles seem to impress the masses, no matter how many ways the message is relayed. Ensure you have the right keywords in the right places and use serps.com to seek out popular keywords for your services.
Media Options to Drive Traffic
- Social Media—you can’t escape the benefits of social media. Free, easy, viral. Get online, set up your page, and share it! It may seem redundant when you already have a thriving website, but consider your audience. You don’t want to miss anyone. Some of the best social media campaigns are found on Facebook.
- Get backlinks out there. When your website is linked to plenty of other good sites, it’s a great organic approach to attract customers and take them directly to a page you want them to see. Link building is grand, but when they get to your page, is your message brief, to the point, and said with confidence?
- Video, video, video—we all love them, and what better way to impress your customers in the shortest amount of time possible. Do it yourself or hire a professional and get it right.
- Don’t miss the next generation of Google page ranking algorithms. If you missed it, your competitors may be taking on your leads. Search for it and read up.
In conclusion, it is important to keep up with the times. Stay informed, share feedback, and find out what others have to say. As our surroundings change, SEO will do the same. Prepare, read a lot, listen, and don’t be afraid of change to drive traffic to your website in 2018.